Contributor: Andrea Mullarkey
Description: Make a tissue paper flower suitable for a Day of the Dead Alter.
Supplies: Colored Tissue Paper and Pipe Cleaners
Number of People: Up to 25
Target Audience: Middle School
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Program Time: 15-20 minutes
- Separate the tissue paper into stacks of 8 sheets.
- Cut tissue paper into rectangles approximately 10 inches by 14 inches. (This was a 1/4 sheet of tissue paper in the package I purchased.)
- Fold the tissue paper rectangles along the short side in 3/4 inch accordion folds so that you end up with a 10 inch by 3/4 inch stack.
- Wrap a pipe cleaner around the center of the accordion fold stack and secure just below the stack by twisting the pipe cleaner back on itself.
- Use the scissors to round off the ends of the accordion fold. This will be easier if you smooth out the stacks and make sure they are lined up well before cutting.
- Fan out one end of the accordion fold and separate the individual sheets of tissue paper from one another. Open the top piece of tissue into the center where the pipe cleaner is. Then continue with the other sheets one at a time until they are all open.
- Repeat the process of separating the sheets of tissue on the other side.
- Enjoy your paper marigold!
Website Source: The online tutorial can be found here.