Contributor: Sarah LaTorra
Description: Use recycled water bottles to create butterflies.
- Nail Polish
- Glitter Glue
- Plastic Bottles (Aquafina works best because the section behind the label is flat)
Number of People: Limited only by Supplies
Target Audience: All Teens
Cost: Free if your library already has the necessary materials.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Program Time: 30-60 minutes, some teens spent 2 hours on this project
- Collect water bottles, ones with flat space behind the labels work best, however water bottles with bumpy surfaces can also create interesting designs.
- Clean water bottles and remove labels.
- Cut the flat section away from the water bottle to create a long rectangular strip. This strip can be cut into two or three squares depending on the length.
- Create a design on paper that you would like to draw on the plastic.
- Draw template onto the plastic with the Sharpie.
- Paint plastic with nail polish.
- Decorate with glitter as desired.
Source: DIY Cozy Home
Labels: Crafts, Low Cost, Recycled Projects