LIBRARIAN I or II, H&G/ADULT / TEEN / CHILDREN’S SERVICES FULL TIME / PART TIME
LIBRARIAN I or II, ADULT / TEEN / CHILDREN’S SERVICES FULL TIME / PART TIME / EXTRA-HELP
- Full-Time- 40 hours/week
- Part-Time- 20 hours/week
- Extra-Help- Not to exceed 960 hours in one fiscal year
As we prepare to open branches on Sundays, we are seeking multiple full-time, part-time, and extra-help Librarians in Adult, Teen and Children’s Services. Please complete the required Supplemental Questionnaire. Spanish bilingual skills are preferred.
History & Genealogy: The ideal History & Genealogy Librarian will bring innovation, a commitment to preserve the region’s history and culture, and a problem-solving spirit. Through our Sonoma County History & Genealogy Library, we seek to be a vital link in the way our communities understand themselves and each other, through an understanding of our history and evolving present-day.
Adult Services: The ideal Adult Services Librarian will have strong outreach, technical, and training skills and be willing to work in a sometimes fast-paced and often vibrant “all ages” environment. Share your talents and abilities while utilizing your librarian skills for community partnerships, basic to advanced computer training, and downloadable Audio and eBook device help for the public.
Teen Services: We are seeking energetic, team-oriented Teen Services Librarians with a strong public service commitment to provide library service and programming for and with teens. If you enjoy constant contact and collaboration with teens, including those with diverse backgrounds and abilities, then we welcome you to apply for a Teen Librarian position.
Children’s Services: Do find joy in bringing library service to the community through innovative programs and outreach? Are you most at home in dynamic, busy library spaces where you can use your librarian skills to present storytimes and STEM programs, help community members access technology, and communicate all the library has to offer? If this sounds like you, we are seeking Children’s Services Librarians.
THE POSITION: Please see the attached job specifications for full details about this position.
Under general supervision, this position provides excellent customer service while performing a variety of professional library services including reference, reader’s advisory, collection development, event planning, outreach, digital literacy training for the public, and performs related work as assigned.
TYPICAL TASKS include, but are not limited to:
- Provides general reference and reader’s advisory services
- Explains library policies and procedures to patrons and staff
- Assists, advises and instructs patrons on the use of library materials and equipment, including automated catalogs, the Internet, various software, eBooks and audio book reading and listening devices and digital literacy in general
- Conducts reference searches using a variety of database, online, and other search techniques
Helps to maintain and select the addition of books, reference materials, CDs, DVDs, electronic media, and other library materials
- Assists at the Circulation Desk when needed
- Assists in and/or directs the preparation of exhibits and the organization and presentation of a variety of programs and events, as well as forming community partnerships for co-events
- Leads book discussion groups
- Promotes the Library out in the community, at schools, and events, and provides written outreach through community publications as well as press releases and other promotions; may represent the
- Library in meetings with the community or special interest groups
- Helps to maintain social media connectivity to the library public
- Works collaboratively with staff, the community and special interest groups
- The Librarian II performs all of these tasks but at a more difficult, higher level. May serve as
Person-in-Charge when Branch Manager is absent
Education and Experience: Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS), Master of Library Science (MLS), or Master of Science in Library Science (MSLS) degree from an accredited college or university. The Librarian II requires two years of appropriate professional experience working as a professional librarian, preferably in a public library. Must have a valid California driver’s license. Spanish bilingual skills preferred.
- Librarian I- $33.37 to $41.68/hour (plus benefits)
- Extra-Help Librarian I- $33.37 to $35.06/hour (no benefits)
- Librarian II- $35.04 to $43.77/hour (plus benefits)
- Extra-Help Librarian II- $35.04 to $36.82/hour (no benefits)
- (Spanish Bi-lingual pay eligible upon passing required testing)
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled; First Review date on July 1, 2022
APPLICATION PROCESS: Please go to https://www.calopps.org/sonoma-county-library to apply. Applications must be complete and submitted by the final filing date in order to be considered. Resumes will not substitute for a completed application.
The application process may contain one or more of the following steps: a supplemental application, written test(s), skills assessment(s), and/or oral examination(s).