Holy Names High School, a small Catholic school for young women, is seeking a full-time Librarian to join our amazing faculty for 2020-2021 school year. Holy Names High School serves a culturally, linguistically, and socioeconomically diverse student body. The HNHS Librarian is the human connection between students and information. The Librarian creates welcoming flexible spaces where educators can work with students and where students collaborate and access information.
Our faculty/staff share a genuine commitment to all young women and support the Holy Names mission, vision and strategic plan. The Librarian assist in developing critical thinkers, skillful researchers, enthusiastic readers and has a desire to help young ladies develop self-awareness and healthy decision making skills. The Librarian reports directly to the Principal.
- Develops and maintains collection of resources to align with the needs of students, teachers, adults and the curriculum.
- Selects library books and materials to support reading development for all students, including those with special needs.
- Collaborates with classroom teachers and parents to promote a love of literature.
- Implements information literacy standards as the basis for instruction in the library.
- Ensures resources in the library offer a broad range of viewpoints and reflect racial, ethnic, gender, cultural, language and religious diversity.
- Informs the learning community about developments in information literacy.
- Orients students to the purposes, organization, procedures and uses of the library.
- Teaches students and adults skills in research (to access, evaluate and effectively use information from the variety of print and digital resources), citation and information literacy.
- Evaluates, promotes and uses existing and emerging technologies to support teaching and learning.
- Assists teachers in developing units of study to facilitate classroom research projects.
- Creates and maintains multicultural spaces that facilitate studying, researching, meeting, creating, collaborating and offer physical and virtual access points to all formats of information.
- Incorporates knowledge of reading skills, youth and young adult literature, information literacy, emerging information and library standards at the high school level.
- Collaborates with the Director of Technology, administration and faculty in determining and guiding appropriate technology use and providing information on best practices with media and technology.
- Develops and revises procedures and policies for the selection, ordering, processing and cataloging of library materials and resources.
Helpful Skills Set
- High school diploma or equivalent qualification.
- Bachelor’s degree in Library Science or enrolled in Teacher/School Librarian Program.
- School library experience, or knowledge of school library best practices.
- Basic IT skills and knowledge of library databases.
- Ability to engage and connect with a diverse community of students and families.
- Commitment to the mission of Holy Names High School.
- Outstanding organizational and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with restorative justice (RJ) or a willingness to learn RJ principles.
- A passion for learning and books.