Contributor: Carla Avitabile
Description: Create a cool wrist cuff out of tire tubes.
- Cleaned and Prepared Tire Tubes (3 or more)
- Sewing Needles
- Paint Pens – optional
- Rubber Stamps – optional
- Indelible Stamp Ink – optional
Number of People: 3-25 (depends on how many you can handle)
Target Audience: All Teen
Cost: $15.00 – $25 depending on if you decide to use paint pens. You can get used tire tubes for free from most local bike shops.
Prep Time: You really need to prep all the bike tires in advance. You do this by cutting the tube in half width-wise and then again lengthwise. Tubes have a chalky substance in them and need to be washed. A great job for volunteers!
Program Time: 30-60 minutes
- Measure the size of cuff using your own wrist, leaving at least 1.5″ overlap for the button.
- Cut shapes in the tube, stamp or use paint pens to decorate your cuff.
- Sew a button on to one end, cut a small slit on the other end of the button hole.
Website: This project was inspired by a photo I saw. However there are many tutorials on making cuffs and bracelets out of tire tubes.